Friday, January 25, 2008

Why I homeschool

I get asked quite often why I homeschool, and somedays I need the reminder too, So I put together this list of a few of my favorite things about homeschooling, in no particular order.


My kids can make mudpies and forts, get dirty, and go exploring.


I get to hear about the exciting bug they found when it's fresh and exciting.


I get to see the pride and sense of accomplishment when something "clicks" whether that is reading or division. The firsts are less frequent as they grow, but just as magical and special.


We can listen to primary songs while we work.


The gospel can be an integral part of our day and we can have devotionals each morning in addition to scripture study at night. (I know I could do devotionals if my kids were in public school, but I also know I wouldn't get them up an extra 30 minutes early for it.)


My preschooler has someone to play with during the day, and they are best friends with each other.


I can encourage friendships with kids and families who have the same values I do.


My kids can play with and have fun with kids of any age, not just those there same age.


My kids are learning life skills and academics at the same time.


We can enjoy the beautiful fall and spring weather, we take "too nice to work inside" days instead of snow days.


We can start late if I've been up with the baby all night.


We can go on field trips, build projects, and learn by doing instead of with worksheets-- like raising frogs and butterflies, collecting leaves, sorting and graphing M &M's (and then eating them together.)


I see what behavior I'm modeling.


It helps me be a better parent because I have to help them become the type of people I want to be around.


We can read an extra chapter or two or three at bedtime and just start a little later in the morning.


We can count a trip to Yellowstone as school and go when everyone else is in school and it's less crowded.


I can learn new things along with the kids and fill in the gaps from my education.


My kids don't have to hide the book under their desk to read. (I did that for years).


They can work ahead and don't have to spend hours reviewing things they already know.And we don't have to move on before they master something.


I can enjoy my children's childhood and let them be kids and have time to play and grow. School takes less time when you don't have to wait for everyone else to finish. And a lot of work can be disguised as a game or play.


Being smart is not a bad thing.


They can wear a shirt they painted with pride and not worry about what other kids think.


I can decide when we need a day off-- to clean or play or just be together.


I can enjoy those precious morning snuggle times without worrying about missing the bus. We can have the best conversations curled up on the couch or in my bed before the day gets started.




3 comments:

Birrd said...

Love this! Thanks for the reminder!

Zumba Girl said...

I agree and I don't even home school...yet. My time will come I am sure.

Anonymous said...

That is some trip that your family took!