Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Catch-up

I haven't posted in forever and now I feel like I have so much catch-up to do. We've had 4 birthdays, Adam turned 2, Jeanisha is now 4, Tyler is 7, and Stephen is. . . old. Older than me at least.

We have been working on getting our paperwork together to adopt through the foster care system. We are almost done with our home study. The home visit is next Tues. YEAH!! This is something we've planned to do since we got married, at some point. . . . And we started feeling like the time was right and doing our classes and paperwork last fall. They want to know EVERYTHING!!!! But, all of the paperwork is in and we're on the final steps of that, then we will be able to start submitting our information for waiting children. Who knows how long it will take at that point before we are "matched" with a child/children. It could be anywhere from 6 months to 2 years, give or take. Once we do our part, it is in the Lord's hands. We have both felt strongly that this is what we should do and that now is the right time, so I am trusting that He knows what He is doing and what child/children should be coming to our home.

We have also been watching for/looking at houses. We found one we like, it's bank-owned, and we are just waiting for the price to drop again. It's been on the market quite a while. They didn't take our offer a month ago, but they are currently fixing the well and septic, the 2 concessions we had in our offer, and their realtor called ours yesterday to let us know and see if we might be interested in making another offer. Maybe after I get the homestudy taken care of. It's out in the county on 5 acres with 6 bedrooms and an office. We love it, but the current market makes me nervous, so we have to get a killer deal on it. And really, I like where we are at, so I'm not in any big rush. Although this house is getting full and will get more so once we adopt.

So that is the short version of everything we've been working on lately. I will try to post pictures later, but I figured a short, quick update while I feed the baby is better than nothing since Feb.

6 comments:

Sally said...

Wow - you have your hands full, but congratulations on such a big decisions! Whatever children come to your home will be truly blessed. I hope you get that house - moving is so stressful (read my blog!). It sounds wonderful, although bank-owned properties are scary. We tried to put an offer on one is WA, but we never got to send it to the bank. I hope yours goes more smoothly than that, but it will if it is all supposed to work out. Best of luck with everything!

Birrd said...

This is AWESOME!!!!! I think it's so great that you're adopting. There's a family in our stake here that had 6 biological children and then adopted 6 more foster kids so now they have 12 kids ages 9-21. I admire them so much. I've always admired you and now I admire you even more!

I'd love more details about the house! It sounds great. We keep looking at country properties here and so far nothing has been right. We'll see what happens...

Emily said...

That will be exciting to have more children in your family. So are you going to be foster parents or adopting a child that is currently in foster care? Hope all goes well with house hunting, it sounds nice to have some land.

Mary and Gary said...

How many children are you looking to adopt? That is great that they are fixing the well and septic. It would have been dumb for them not to...unless they wanted to own it forever. Keep us all posted about the adoption process and the options you guys have!

Leslie B said...

It's about time you updated! I mean, what else could you be doing? :) That's wonderful that you are looking at adoption. I guess it's not necessarily a baby since it's through the foster program. I hope it all goes well with you.

The house we're in now was a "bank owned" property. I will never bank with that bank now because of dealing with them in the process of getting this house, but we love the house. Good luck with that as well!

Rachelle Christensen said...

Janet, you never cease to amaze me! How do you do it all? Good luck with foster care. :)I wanted to tell you about an awesome contest I entered at
The Original Scrapbox Check it out and please vote for me, #319 for the cutest craft giveaway. Thanks a bunch!