Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Amniocentisis

Well, today was the day of the amnio. It went pretty well, the only part that hurt was the numbing shot and that only lasted about 15 seconds. Then they inserted the straw and the needle inside of it to pull out the amniotic fluid. They had a little trouble getting the fluid to come into the needle, a piece of membrane or something seemed to be blocking it, so they had to try several times, but the straw kept them from having to poke additional holes. So the 30 second procedure took about 2 minutes, which feels like forever when you are not supposed to move and breathe shallow. We saw the baby briefly on the ultrasound, but they mainly just used it to keep focused on the pocket of fluid and the needle. The baby did keep kicking over by the needle and trying to get one leg in the way, but that was about all we really saw.

They sent the fluid out to a lab and said the results would be back in 7-10 days, usually closer to the 10 day end, so now we just wait.

I have realized that I would be a lousy bedrest patient. I'm supposed to take it easy for the rest of today, and I already feel like I'm running out of things to do. I finished my book, played a game with T, read a magazine, and just laid here. It's really quiet, Stephen took the kids to the part, and I keep thinking of things I need to do. Luckily Stephen has started telecommuting 2 days a week, so he has the laptop here, so I can sit in bed and type. Maybe I'll get all my curriculum figured out for the coming year.

Thank you for all the prayers and support, I'll post results once we hear something.

1 comment:

Brown Family said...

Our prayers are with you.