Tuesday, March 16, 2010

No school day

I told the kids we were taking today off of school and they could stay in pj's as long as they wanted. So what did they do?

Danced around singing The Verb Song at the tops of their lungs until they all knew it by heart. I could probably sing you the whole song too. :)
Played "Take Off" a geography quiz game.
Read, read, read and read some more. Tyler is devouring Magic Treehouse books and Ryan is reading Harry Potter 3 again.

Jeanisha did tell me it wasn't fair that I wasn't helping her with her school and that it was my job to help her do at least a few pages of math. I agreed to 4 and told her she could write me a letter saying why she should do more school. (which meant I got to spell words for her to write for the next 45 minutes)

Her letter said: "Dear mom, I like doing school because I want to catch up with Tyler. Jeanisha"

Now they are outside playing. And our "non-school" day has ended up being pretty educational.

5 comments:

Lara said...

Janet, can you tell me more about this "verb song"?? On your recommendation, I bought the "Skip Count Kid" songs, and my kids have benefited immensely by knowing how to skip count. I shudder to think what doing math with them would be like without the help of those songs. So I'd LOVE some more educational music recommendations from you. Thanks Janet - I admire you so much!!

Simplymom said...

It is Grammar Songs by Kathy Troxel. Check your library. ISBN 1-883028-10-8

They love the Verb song #2, the others are okay, not as catchy.

CollinsFamily said...

I was hoping you posted the pictures of your boys reading in the driveway and tree!!

April Mitchell said...

Isn't it great how kids just naturally learn : )
"Learning is not a product of teaching ... kids are born learning. They learn how to walk, how to talk. They're basically little scientists. If we don't stop that process, it will continue."
Grace Llewellyn, author of The Teenage Liberation Handbook

Melissa said...

I love it! What a fun non-school day. I'm curious... how many days a week do you do homeschool? And what is your daily schedule like? I know you are juggling several grades and several preschoolers/toddlers/babies like I am so I'm curious how your days go. Thanks!

Melissa :)